Welcome to Middle School at Our Shepherd!
Our middle school prepares your child to succeed in high school by giving them tools to grow academically, spiritually, emotionally, and socially. These skills are developed through age-appropriate daily curriculum and class activities.
All subjects follow the Core Indiana Standards which drive our curriculum choices. Our middle school subjects include Language Arts/Literature, Science, Math, Social Studies/History, Spanish, Health, Physical Education, Art, Music, and Life Skill Classes.
As your child enters Middle School they will be greeted by our team of teachers. See their bios below.
Kim May - 5th Grade Teacher
Mrs. Kim May has been in education since the mid-1990s. She is a graduate of Concordia University Chicago. She has a Bachelor's degree in Elementary Education with concentrations in Language Arts and Art. She has been a teacher at Our Shepherd since 2011.
Aaron McPeak - 6th Grade Homeroom
Mr. McPeak has been an educator since 2011 in Lutheran, public, and parochial schools in Indiana and Colorado. He graduated with a degree in Physics from Colorado Mesa University and has licensure across grades K- 12.
Rachel Miller - 8th Grade Teacher
Mrs. Rachel Miller has been in education since 2009 and graduated from Concordia University, River Forest IL. She has a Masters's degree in Curriculum and Instruction from the University of Indianapolis.
Visit our staff page to find out more about all of our Our Shepherd teachers.
Middle School Highlights by subjects:
Language Arts and Literature
- Lessons taught according to the Indiana State Standards
- Middle school math includes pre-algebra and high school credit algebra
- 5th Grade - Nature of Science, Design Process, What is Matter?, Physical and Chemical Changes, Introduction to the Solar System, Ecosystems and Environment, and Human Body Systems.
- 6th Grade - The Sun, Earth, Moon System, Solar System, Energy in the Environment, Organisms and the Environment, Energy, and States of Matter
- 7th Grade - Beneath the Earth (geologic processes), Rocks and Soil, Cells and Cell Processes, Using Energy, Forces, Sound and Light Energy, Energy, Power, and Work
- 8th Grade - Classifying Living Things, Genetics, Understanding Our Origins, Protecting Natural Resources, Atoms, Elements and Compounds, Chemical Reactions, Engineering Materials, and Weather and Climate
- 5th Grade - American History (Including states and capitals)
- 6th Grade - Western Hemisphere Culture and Geography
- 7th Grade - Eastern Hemisphere Culture and Geography
- Personal Health & Safety - including substance abuse
- Growth & Nutrition
- Mental & Emotional Health
- Environmental Health
- Consumer & Community Health
- Family & Social Health
- 5th Grade - Introduction to physical fitness (pilates, circuits, conditioning) and fitness testing each trimester. Introduction to basic skills in soccer, volleyball, football, basketball, floor hockey, lacrosse, juggling, etc. Cooperative games, activities, and challenges.
- 6th - 8th Grade - Intermediate fitness (pilates, circuits, conditioning), fitness testing each trimester. Intermediate skill training in soccer, volleyball, football, basketball, floor hockey, lacrosse, juggling, etc. Cooperative games, activities, and challenges.
- We incorporate the love of our Lord and Savior into all areas of the curriculum in order to show that in all things, God is given the glory.
- Bible Passages and memory work. Catechism is taught in upper grades
- Teach the only way of salvation is through faith in Jesus Christ
Choice/Life Skill Classes
Each trimester, your child will choose a Choice/Life Skill class to attend. These classes range from baking, golf, knitting, card and board games to creative writing, cooking, canvas painting, etc.
- Advent Service/Fall Musical
- Weekly Music Class
- Fine Arts Festival - 5th - 8th Grade Choir Concert
- Fine Arts Field Trip Rotation - Indiana Repertory Theater, Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra, Beef and Boards (Dinner Theater)
- 5th & 6th Grade - Outdoor Education at Camp Lakeview
- 7th Grade - Creation Museum
- 8th Grade - Class trip to Mackinaw Island in Michigan
Middle School will also participate in:
- Art - Preschool - 8th Grade Art Fair at Lutheran High School
- Middle School Student Council