Grace and peace to you all in Christ Jesus, our Lord. My name is Joel Marquardt and I have been selected to serve alongside you as your 2017-2018 DCE Intern. I am very excited to meet you all at Our Shepherd, and am looking forward to all of the works God has “prepared in advance for us to do” throughout the upcoming year to grow His kingdom!
I graduated from Concordia University, Nebraska in 2016. For the past year, I have been volunteering for City Year Miami, an educational non-profit under the AmeriCorps national service program. Along with other volunteers and teachers, we focus on improving middle school students’ attendance and behaviors at school, as well as math and reading skills through tutoring, afterschool clubs, mentoring, and classroom involvement. My beautiful wife Nicole, is also a 2016 Concordia graduate and currently teaches 22 wonderful (and energetic!) 2nd graders at Holy Cross Lutheran Christian Day School in North Miami. We can’t wait to meet you all, but until then, here a few more random tidbits about me:
1) Favorite Bible verse - Jeremiah 31:33-34.
2) Favorite memory: getting married to my lovely wife, Nicole, last July at Mahoney State Park in Ashland, Nebraska!
3) Favorite book: Les Miserables by Victor Hugo OR How to Ask Great Questions by Karen Lee-Thorp OR whatever I happen to be reading this week….
4) Favorite movie quote: “We’re on a mission from God” – the Blues Brothers.
5) Favorite pastime: being outdoors - Frisbee golf or camping.
6) Favorite joke: Why did the old man break into song?
Because he couldn’t find the key!
7) Favorite place to eat: anywhere with tacos!