Hello, and welcome to 1st Grade at Our Shepherd!
Our 1st grade class focuses on core subjects including language arts, mathematics, science, and social studies. Spanish, art, and music are introduced this year too! Your child is encouraged to express their unique gifts and talents while being nurtured so that they are able to develop positive and productive work habits which will last a lifetime.
Children in 1st grade are greeted by Mrs. Lisa Dubke, our 1st Grade Teacher, and Mrs. Rosemary Thomas, our Resource Aide.
Mrs. Lisa Dubke has been in education for 12 years and is a graduate of Concordia University Chicago with degrees in Elementary Education and Early Childhood Education. She also has her Masters degree in Education from the University of Texas. By incorporating music and truths from God's Word within the curriculum, she provides a unique learning environment for her students.
Mrs. Rosemary Thomas is a graduate of Butler University with a Masters Degree in Elementary Education. After retiring from teaching, she began assisting at our school as a Resource Aide. She enjoys her mission assisting our students in the Kindergarten and 1st grade classrooms.
1st Grade Curriculum highlights:
- Phonics, Spelling, Grammar, and Writing are connected to weekly reading stories.
- Daily small group reading instruction
- Zaner-Bloser Handwriting
- Emphasize on addition, subtraction, and fluency of facts
- Place value
- Telling time
What do scientists do and how do they study the world
- Life Science: Living things and how they interact
- Physical Science: States of matter
- Earth Science: How soil is formed and how does it vary
- Study of people and how they live
- Map skills
- Awareness of past, present, and future
- Economic principles
- Cultures around the world
- Landforms and bodies of water
- Learn about God's truth as families, leaders, and prophets
- Jesus' life
- Our opportunity to "go and tell"
1st graders will also participate in:
- Physical Education
Our 1st graders celebrate "Special Day's" in school like Johnny Appleseed Day, Veteran's Day, Dr. Seuss Week, 100th Day of School, and the Mini-Indy.
Your child will bring home many stories from President Harrison's Home, the Library, the Children's Museum, and the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
1st Grade Class Schedule